Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Life as a "chicken rancher"

Did I ever mention that I raise chickens too? LOL Well, I have 18 hens of various layer breeds (they better be!) & 1 very frustrated rooster! His name is Mr.P, but I call him "the Evil One" or the rooster from hell~LOL! He got out of his very large pen today, without my knowing, & yup! as I walked into that part of my backyard, he came at me, out of NOWHERE! OMG! All I saw was him jump up at me & caught me with those darn spurs of his right on my leg! LOL It wasn't funny at the time, but after I got him back in his pen I just sat there & laughed because I must've really been a sight, trying to get away from him! Thank God no one else was around at the time, to see such a hilarious sight! LOL My son & husband want so badly to turn him into roast chicken or some other dish...but I feel there's hope for him, inspite of his "evil" nature & constant crowing all day long! LOL He really is a big, beautiful rooster & the only Buff Orpington I have left after last summer's mongoose massacre of all 10 of my Barred Rocks & Buff Orpingtons. Actually, he WAS the only survivor of that attack & at the time we thought he was a hen so we named him "Precious". Then, about 2 months later, early one morning my youngest grandaughter & I awoke to the sounds of what we thought, at the time, was one of our goats choking. LOL! So, we ran out back to check & there the sound was again! It was his first crows OR trying to, at least! LOL! Hey! I never had chickens before, so HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW?! LOL! My chickens have been another great source of "excitement" in my life, let me tell you! Now, if only I could get the hens to start doing their jobs & start laying! LOL

7 comments:

Eclectic Chic Style said...

So glad you weren't hurt, and you have me laughing out loud with that one!!! My husband has been begging for years to let him raise chickens, and that's what would probably happen to me if I let him lol! Have a wonderful day!!

Julie said...

hi leona,
you poor thing! funny though...LOL. don't you dare let anyone put that lovely boy in the oven! love my girls and would love a rooster but i reckon hubby would never stop whining about the noise!
julie

QuiltedSimple said...

Too funny and I'm so glad you weren't hurt! We have 3 roos - and they are all very quiet roos so we are fortunate.
Kris

Janice said...

I have to say I was chuckling inside. I was picturing what that might have looked like. It would be a little terrifying having a rooster attacking. I know they can be mean. I grew up with chickens and a couple roosters to eat the bugs around the yard. We had hens for eggs but it didn't last very long because my Mom didn't like having them. We did raise chickens for years and for years as a child I would help pluck the chickens. Good times, Good times. Have a great day!!
Watch your back!!

Kimonos and Sushi(OLD BLOG) said...

Glad to see you up and blogging again that flu sounds just Yuck. I loved the story about Mr P he sounds like a real charcter.
Andrea

Tracy Bruring said...

So far I am very lucky with my auracana rooster. He had not shown any signs of agression. He is young yet though. The longer you have that rooster, the quicker your reflexes will be! lol

simple country living! said...

LOL! I sure hope that I can get away faster! Thanks for stopping by!
Leona