Saturday, January 17, 2009

Windy day in Hawai'i nei!

The winds started kicking up around midnight (I was still up cruising the world in blogland LOL) I know weather is way worse than this in many parts of the world right now...but we'd just had about 4 days of BEAUTIFUL sunshine after WEEKS of RAIN (UGH!) And now this! So at around 1 a.m., hubby, grandaughter & I are outside batting down the hatches so our guinea pig cages don't fly away...our chicken coops tied down, so they don't all fly away (LOL!), along with any other loose objects that could become suddenly airborne! Weather forecasts said we'd have winds of up to 60 mph! You see, when we live such an "idyllic" life, we FORGET how it could be in the storm of things! Talk about teaching us a lesson! Earlier in the day, I WARNED my family what the forecast would be....but oh no....they tell me that the storm will hit the west side of the island (according to what THEY heard on the weather news) HA! I wonder what forecast THEY were listening to, because that's NOT the report I heard!!! We live on the windward side of the Big Island (East) & the weatherman SAID the windward side! So...do I feel guilty about rousting the only 2 willing humans from sleepy-time to get out there & secure things? NO! Not at all! LOL! They should be THANKFUL that it wasn't RAINING too!
So it is now 1:30 the next afternoon & it is still very windy & temps in the low 60s (hey, that's COLD to us here in Hawai'i!) Because we live very near the beach, we get the cold winds off of the ocean too! that's brrrr... to me! And I LOVE snow!

4 comments:

Janice said...

Its good to see you survived tieing everything down for the storm and its even better that you were right. Way to go!!

Winona said...

You have guinea pigs. I have always loved those little critters. We have had several over the years. They make great pets. I still have one, but she is getting old. I would love to see pictures of your guinea pigs. Hope your weather has calmed down some. Winona

QuiltedSimple said...

I'd love a day in the 60's right now - we are sitting at 14 degrees. I hope everything survived the wind!
Kris

em's scrapbag said...

Glad you were able to get things taken care of, even if it was in the wee hours of the morning. Your puppies are soooo cute. And I love your little stitcheries. Have a great day! Em